Friday, August 9, 2013

A look around the living room

Welcome to our living room! 
Of all the rooms in the house, this one was probably the easiest to put together. 
It has a lot of character already so it didn't take much to make it feel like home.


Hands down my favorite thing about the room is the ceiling.




Some of the beams have spot lights so when they are turned on, they illuminate different parts of the ceiling:



Our couch is Crate & Barrel but we bought it second-hand from CraigsList
It has been through three moves and has endured abuse from our dog Rosie.


Luckily it is slip-covered and washed often. 
Also since moving to the house, we have cracked down and no longer allow the dog on the couch. 
Sorry Rosie! 


The geometric pillows are from Home Goods and the solid pillows are from West Elm.


This one is from Target.


As for our coffee table, see how we made made it over here.


On each side of the couch, we have two of these end tables that are painted in Annie Sloan's Old White.
To see other things we've painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, click here.





On the left side of the living room when you walk in we have this hutch:


 We bought it from the previous owners.
They originally had it in the guest house but since we needed a piece of furniture for this wall, Chris and I moved it into the living room.





I found this glass water jug in a basement of a garage sale for only $3! 
Always check the basements!


On the other side of the living room, we've hung this large painting:


It was in my parents' living room growing up although with a different mat and frame.




One entire wall of the living room is built-ins which have been a challenge to fill and decorate.


Here are some close-ups of the shelves. 
Please note that these are all works in progress!









I added wheels to this old crate from a garage sale. Super easy to do.


I've covered some of my books that didn't have "attractive" covers with brown paper:







Onto the fireplace...


I haven't done much with the mantle yet except place a few accessories on it like these plant stands:





A few more shots around the room:


This bench came from an estate sale. I like how it offers extra seating in the living room.




This end table and the arm chair behind it (there are actually two of each) were left for us by the sellers!


Thanks for reading & happy Friday!

- Caitlin

11 comments:

  1. Where do you find all your frames? I have a hard time finding affordable ones that don't look super cheap and generic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but all the frames in the living room are from garage sales or estate sales! The large one with the black and white picture of Chris is distressed with Annie Sloan paint. The other two natural wood ones had baby blue mats in them so I replaced them with white ones. You could also take a generic looking frame and distress it so that it looks like more of an original!

      Delete
  2. All of those shelves are amazing!!! I need a lot of shelving.


    Emily
    eageremily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love having them but they are tricky to decorate! Works in progress for sure.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Caitlian!! Love, love, love those pillows!!! I adore your home and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caitlin! I just adore your blog. I love your style and your home is gorgeous. You have so many great projects going on. I am going to try recovering a roller shade next. Thanks for inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks so much! Good luck with the roller shade!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I just found you via 6th street design and I love your home and style!! Beautiful!! You've done a great job. I love how your antique pieces (like the hutch left from the previous owners) adds warmth to your living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me! Thanks this room is definitely my favorite!

      Delete

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.