Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Bargain cruising on Craigslist

If you haven't noticed by now, I am a big bargain shopper and have a hard time paying full price in stores,
which is why I am always checking out Craigslist for bargains and unique pieces.

Here are a few things for sale that I spotted this week on the website in the Fairfield County/NYC area with their respective links:

How cute would this table and chairs be in a small kitchen or apartment?
I think the paint color is mint, which I love.
It also helps that it is merchandised so cute with the flowers and teacups.


I was sold at the nail head trim on this bench.
It would look nice in a mud room, at the foot of a bed, or as seating around a dining table.


Another mint-colored piece.
This would be great in a bathroom or even a kitchen to hold plates, glasses, or jars.


I like the lines of this dresser and how the finish is a little shabby chic.
You could even change the knobs out for some unique ones from Anthropologie.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/fuo/4155568795.html

Ignoring the pixelated quality of this photo, I think this two-toned table is pretty cool for a dining room.


And there are always some finds that require a little more imagination, like this spindle bed.
If you turn your head to the left, and imagine a different duvet and a less cluttered nightstand, this bed would be so cute in a little kid's room or a guest room.


The same goes for this chair.
I like the shape but would maybe stain or paint it and then recover the cushion in a really fun fabric:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/fuo/4140422596.html

This bar cart reminds me of the one we have on our porch.
The natural wood is nice but a fresh coat of paint in a fun color like red could make it really great.


This armoire has nice lines but I bet some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in a graphite color would look awesome, sort of like this DIY painted armoire from Emily A. Clark's blog.


Lastly, just some tips I follow when looking for furniture on Craigslist...

1. Try searching with keywords like "rustic", "shabby chic", "reclaimed".
That's how I came across most of the above pieces in my search.
*
2. Search in towns that typically have really nice homes.
Usually they have really nice things.
*
3. When you find something you like but you want to negotiate, try asking if they can do any better on the price.
I like phrasing it that way because it is not too pushy.
*
4. Lastly, it doesn't hurt to check out the "free" section on Craigslist
You know what they say..."one man's junk is another man's treasure".


Thanks for reading!
- Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.