Monday, April 28, 2014

Waiting on tables

We have been wanting a kitchen table for some time now in an effort to have an additional eating/sitting area in the kitchen aside from the nook and high-top table and stools.
The original plan was that Chris would build a table with a zinc top but the furthest we got with that one was pinning some ideas on Pinterest:

{via}

{via}

With busy weekends and other projects taking priority, I unfortunately didn't see this one coming to fruition for a while.
So when I spotted this island below on a random trip to West Elm marked down nearly 50% 
(because it was the floor model), I scooped it right up.

It had the zinc-like top we wanted and was the perfect size for our kitchen.
The only issue was that it was island height and we wanted something that was table height.


Not a problem though.
We just unscrewed the lower shelf (which I plan to re-purpose as a tray of some sort)...


...as well as the legs. 
Then, Chris just took off a few inches of each leg with his table saw.


All that was left to do was re-attaching the shortened legs and adding some furniture pads to keep the floor from getting scratched.


Here it is now as a table:


I've temporarily put our dining room chairs here while I wait for these chairs that I recently ordered to arrive. This will mean both the table and chairs will not have come from a garage sale. I know, so rare in this house!






Thanks for reading :)
- Caitlin

3 comments:

  1. That is soo cute!

    Sarah

    www.sarahsdaybook.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Gosh what great luck you had with finding this on sale!

    x Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's surprising how much of a markdown furniture floor models get. It's a good way to score a deal!

      Delete

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.